|Marie Janella Barone|
|Full Name||Marie Janella Barone|
|First Appearance|| Season 1 Episode 1|
|Number of episodes||210|
|Relatives|| Husband - Frank|
Sons - Ray, Robert
Grandchildren - Ally, Michael, Geoffrey
Sister - Alda
Niece - Stacy
In-Laws - Debra, Amy
Marie is the mother of Ray and Robert Barone in Everybody Loves Raymond. She is played in the series by veteran actress Doris Roberts, who is also known for her role on the 1983-88 NBC-TV series Remington Steele.
She is the matriarch of the Barone family. As in the sixth season episode titled Lucky Suit (#6.16), Robert refers to her as "Queen Marie". Even though her sons are in their forties, she still coddles them like little kids, but she has always favored the younger son Ray over Robert. She is over-indulgent with Raymond, often offering to take over the responsibilities he is supposed to do (which he rarely does anyway) so he can go play instead of act like a responsible adult. She is constantly in everybody's business and is very bossy and condescending, feigning that "everything she does, is only out of love".
She is a good cook and always has a clean house (Decorated in 1960's/1970's style) with plastic on the sofa. Marie often openly criticizes Ray's wife, Debra, for not keeping her own house "clean enough" and feeding her family properly and she dismisses anyone who doesn't live up to her standards. She thinks Debra is a bossy wife for expecting Raymond to act like a responsible adult. Even though she loves Frank, she constantly bickers with him and calls him a lazy, stubborn slob.
Marie has a passive-aggressive personality making others feel guilty in order to get what she wants. Most of the time, the person that she makes feel guilty is Ray. Debra Barone called Marie the Guilt Bomb Because she makes People Gulity She was born in 1934
Relationship to other charactersEdit
- Mother to Ray and Robert
- Mother-in-law to Debra and Amy
- Wife to Frank
- Grandmother to Ally, Michael, and Geoffrey
Memorable Quotes Edit
- MARIE: I can't talk! There's too much fruit in the house!
- MARIE: (frequently throughout the series) I don't like that, Raymond.
- DEBRA: (chuckles) Cleaning is cleaning.
- MARIE: You'd think so!
- RAY: Did you say that you like Amy more than Debra?
- MARIE: I am not...saying that.
- RAY: I know. I know you're not saying it now. But did you say it--ever?
- RAY: What if I told you that we have a tape of you saying it, Ma?
- MARIE: Give me the tape.
- MARIE: (as Debra rolls eyes) May I say something as an impartial observer?
- MARIE: Years ago, I gave birth to two beautiful boys. And I wanted nothing more than to see them grow up, get married, and give me grandchildren. But if you want to take that away from me, by all means you go and tell that to Robert. And I'll just be back across the street living out the rest of my life...as best I can...with a hole in my heart.