|Robert is caught eating corn dogs before dinner in "The Invasion"|
|Air Date||September 21, 1998|
|Preceded by||The Wedding: Part 2|
|Followed by||Driving Frank|
The Invasion is the first episode of Season 3, and is episode 48 of the full 210 episodes for the entire series. In this episode, Ray and Debra's house is being fumigated, so they stay with Frank and Marie for a few days.
- Episode Title: The Invasion
- Episode Number: Season 3, Episode 1 (#48 of 210)
- Air Date: September 21, 1998
- Episode description (from DVD): "While their house is being fumigated, Ray and Debra stay with Frank and Marie."
- Preceded by: "The Wedding: Part 2"
- Followed by: "Driving Frank"
Right off the bat, things start to get awkward. When Debra unintentionally "interferes" in Marie's everyday activities, Marie complains to Ray. So then, Debra decides to purposely interfere just to annoy her. And after a confrontation with Robert, Ray gets into the act. Now, nobody can wait for the fumigation to be done.
Frank blurts out a variation of his famous tag-line "holy crap."
Even though they are not in their own house, Ray walks in and refers to Debra by some funny nickname. This time it was "Bubble Wrap".
This is only one of the few times in the series that the viewer gets to see Ray's old bedroom.
Music was used quite a bit throughout the series. This is the first episode that uses Ludwig van Beethoven's 9th Symphony (better known as "Ode to Joy") as the shows opening theme. This opening would be used for the next few seasons.
- Robert: "Yeah, and Ray, who flushed this morning while I was conditioning?"