|Robert holding Traffic Cop Timmy in "Traffic School"|
|Air Date||April 20, 1998|
|Writer(s)||Kathy Ann Stumpe|
|Followed by||Six Feet Under|
Traffic School is the 21st episode of Season 2, and is episode 43 of the full 210 episodes for the entire series. In this episode, Robert has to teach traffic school, so he practices on his family.
- Episode Title: Traffic School
- Episode Number: Season 2, Episode 21 (#43 of 210)
- Air Date: April 20, 1998
- Episode description (from DVD): "Robert teaches traffic school."
- Preceded by: "T-Ball"
- Followed by: "Six Feet Under"
During the practice session, Ray, Debra, Frank, and even Marie all make jokes and laugh at Robert. After being told to loosen up, Robert comes back to the practice session with a ventriloquist dummy named "Traffic Cop Timmy". Hoping it'll liven up the session, it only makes things worse.
As in every episode, all the other characters make jokes at Robert's expense.
Robert touches his binder to his chin, as he does a lot of items throughout the series.
Though she doesn't appear in the episode, Robert's partner Judy is mentioned. Also, Robert's dog Shamsky is not seen in the episode. But a photo of the dog can be seen in the background in Robert's bedroom, right next to the baseball jersey of Art Shamsky, Robert's favorite baseball player.
The viewer also finds out the Robert has been with the NYPD for 16 years.
- ROBERT: The binder's not just a guide, Debra. The binder is... binding.
- MARIE: Let's pretend I'm a crazy driver...(points to Frank) shut up, Frank...and I get caught. Now I've got to go to Robbie's Traffic School!
- ROBERT: It's not called "Robbie's Traffic School," Ma!
- MARIE: It doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter! Let's pretend I'm a person...shut up, Frank...
- ROBERT: Now...what was the offense that led you to be here today?
- RAY: I killed my brother.
- ROBERT: Traffic offense.
- RAY: Oh...could you go lie down in the driveway for a minute?
- ROBERT: Don't you have an outstanding moving violation, Dad?
- FRANK: I wouldn't say "outstanding"...but it was pretty good, though!
(after Marie correctly says what to do before driving)
- TIMMY: Oh, that's it! She thinks that's it!
- ROBERT: Is--isn't that everything, Timmy?
- TIMMY: Oh, sure, that's everything, but how about...(turns to Marie) making sure your firstborn child is in the car before you pull out of a gas station in New Mexico?!